In 1998, NUCRYST Pharmaceuticals introduced the first commercially available product based on its platform nanocrystalline technology. Smith & Nephew's Acticoat™ antimicrobial barrier dressings with SILCRYST™ nanocrystals rapidly became a clinical and commercial success and promptly gained acceptance in burn centers across North America. Now the products are sold in 30 countries.
Acticoat™ antimicrobial barrier dressings work in a number of different ways:
- Bacterial reduction - Smith and Nephew's Acticoat™ dressings with SILCRYST™ nanocrystals have demonstrated a broad antimicrobial spectrum and kill rate in in vitro studies, inhibiting a wide range of pathogens, including drug-resistant bacteria such as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin resistant enteroccocus (VRE).
- Fluid management - Chronic wounds can have a variety of exudate levels from low to very high. Each of Smith & Nephew's Acticoat™ dressing has different degrees of absorbency to assist in the management of exudates, while helping to maintain an optimally moist wound-healing environment.
- Sustained release - SILCRYST™ nanocrystals release silver ions in the dressing quickly and sustain release for up to 7 days
- Non-adherent design - Smith & Nephew's Acticoat™ products allow for pain-free removal without disruption of the wound bed.
Smith & Nephew, the world leader in advanced wound care management, markets, sells and distributes Acticoat™ antimicrobial barrier dressings with SILCRYST™ nanocrystals under a licensing agreement with NUCRYST. NUCRYST maintains responsibility for manufacturing and new product development in its facility located in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada facility.
Smith & Nephew's Acticoat™ family of dressing with SILCRYST™ nanocrystals
- Acticoat™ 3/ Acticoat™ Burn for wounds requiring up to three days of sustained antimicrobial activity
- Acticoat™ 7 for wounds requiring up to seven days of sustained antimicrobial activity
- Acticoat™ Absorbent for wound with moderate to heavy excess fluid, for exudate, requiring up to three day of antimicrobial activity
- Acticoat™ Moisture Control for wounds light to moderate exudate requiring up to seven days of antimicrobial activiy
For more information, please visit www.acticoat.com